FOR A FUTURE NUCLEAR ENVIRONMENT
Challenges for safeguards: today
- How can today's safeguards challenges be met cost effectively?
- Spent fuel storage, reprocessing, enrichment, final disposal
- How could integrated safeguards under Additional Protocols evolve?
- Preparing for integrated safeguards
- Applying integrated safeguards in the European Union
- Applying integrated safeguards in specific States (Canada, Japan)
- How could international safeguards interface with nuclear security?
- Are there technological synergies?
Challenges for safeguards: future
- How will the evolution of nuclear energy usage impact safeguards?
- Safeguards and non-proliferation; safeguards and nuclear security
- Innovative fuel cycles and proliferation resistance
- How will energy infrastructure evolve and what will it mean for safeguards?
- Energy infrastructure evolution (open electricity markets, role of nuclear and renewable energy in sustainable development, energy parks
- Safeguards impacts (role of global standards)
- How will steps toward disarmament interface with safeguards?
- Prospects for IAEA verification of excess weapon material
- Fissile Material Cutoff - what would it mean for safeguards?
Future safeguards solutions and directions
- Conclusions of the ESARDA Workshop on "R&D responses to the new safeguards environment" (May 2002)
- What technical solutions are available for application to future challenges?
- Information technologies; monitoring technologies; environmental sampling; satellite imagery; other verification regimes: What could be applicable?
- Incorporate emerging technologies into safeguards approaches?
- What directions could institutional solutions take?
- What role for Regional and State systems?
- How could proliferation resistance be incorporated into the non-proliferation regime?
- International storage of spent fuel and nuclear waste; integrated nuclear sites; nuclear fuel cycle parks
- What directions could political solutions take?
- Enforcement of treaty commitments
Booklet of abstracts (as of 08.10.2003) available for download