Terms of Reference
To provide the Safeguards Community with expert advice on destructive analysis methods and procedures and their capabilities for Nuclear Material Accounting and Safeguards, act as a forum for the exchange of information on DA methods.
To achieve this the Working Group will:
- Maintain a list of DA methods suitable for accountancy and verification purposes.
- Determine the reliability of DA methods by continuing inter-laboratory measurement evaluation programmes; in particular the Group will:
- identify analytical problems of common interest;
- define the objectives and the design of the programmes;
- evaluate the results;
- consider formal QA requirements.
- Promulgate Performance Values for Uncertainties in DA methods of nuclear material.
- Recommend Target Values for Uncertainties in measurements in nuclear material, and promote international Target Values.
- Recommend the implementation of new and improved methods.
- Promote the systematic and correct use of Reference Materials by:
- maintaining a list of Reference Materials available within the European Union and elsewhere;
- maintaining information on their traceability;
- advising on their distribution and transport problems.
- Consider sampling problems and their significance for DA results (including sample treatment, conditioning, storage, transport, stability).
- Promote the use of correct and internationally accepted terminology in measurements.
- Support new developments of DA methods for Safeguard purposes.
- Promote cooperation with other Working Groups.