The Working Group's mission is to provide the safeguards community with expert advice on containment and surveillance (C/S) instruments and methods and on their performance; and act as a forum for the exchange of information on such instruments and methods, including unattended and remote monitoring systems.
Terms of Reference
To provide the Safeguards Community with expert advice on Containment and Surveillance (C/S) instruments and methods and on their performance; and act as a forum for the exchange of information on such instruments and methods, which are considered to include unattended and remote monitoring systems.
To achieve the above objectives the C/S Working Group will:
- Advise the European Commission and IAEA on new and improved instruments and methods and on areas where R&D effort is still needed.
- Maintain a list of C/S instruments and methods currently used or under development for safeguards purposes.
- Develop methods for determining the assurance and performance of C/S equipment and contribute to their evaluation.
- Contribute to determining, on request, the assurance and performance of C/S equipment.
- Promote cooperation with other working groups and the inspection authorities.
- Assist in the development of C/S instruments and methods in support of safeguards approaches including the definition of technical requirements.
- Assist in the development and assessment of data evaluation and decision tools.
- Collaborate with other working groups to develop comprehensive and integrated tools to support safeguards approaches.
- Promote the exchange of information and experience among facility operators, safeguards authorities, and developers.
- Study technical characteristics of instruments and devices from other domains (e.g., physical protection) and investigate into the possible transfer of technology from these domains to the safeguards area.
- Look at other verification regimes and assess to what extent their techniques and methods could be used for safeguards.