Terms of Reference
In November 2020, ESARDA launched a new WG to share best practices and knowledge related to Material Balance Evaluation in bulk handling facilities.
The main objectives of this WG are :
- To establish guidelines on Material Balance Evaluation;
- To provide a reference and robust methodology for in-process inventory verification and Material Balance Evaluation within each Material Balance Area;
- To identify and share best practices and knowledge within the safeguards community (operators and inspectorates);
- To contribute to international reference through guidelines and ESARDA publications. It will provide a basis for relevant education and training.
The scope of this Working Group includes the Material Balance Evaluation, the determination of the related uncertainties and their interpretation.
The tasks of this Working Group will be distributed in 4 sub-WGs
- Regulations for Material Balance Evaluation;
- Methodologies and statistical assumptions for Material Balance Evaluation as well as uncertainties, examples and tools;
- Best practices for Material Balance Evaluation, Material Balance monitoring and Material Balance accuracy improvement;
- Near Real Time Accountancy studies and perspectives.
This 4th Sub Working Group will be interested in the potential development made possible by machine learning algorithms, as well as the development made in the mathematical methods. The development in these fields allows to combine physical models and statistical models.
To address the above tasks, the Working Group will:
1. Identify and cooperate with the appropriate ESARDA Working Groups (such as DA and NDA) and other international actors involved in MBE;
2. Maintain contacts with or awareness of other international initiatives in the area of MBE or associated topics such as International Target Values (IAEA Working Group);
3. Focus on technical and cost efficiencies and suggest the optimum;
4. Promote Safeguards by design, to enhance MBE and, in particular, through NRTA.
MBE Useful Links
MBE CIRCA BC Document Repository (credentials required)